PCA Historical Center

Archives & Manuscript Repository for the Continuing Presbyterian Church

Covenant Theological Seminary, Records

Record Group # 13

Box# es 4 through 6, 11, 12, 14 and 62

Content Summary: {brief}

Span Dates: {years}

Size: 4 cu. ft.

Access Restrictions: None

Collection Citation: Covenant Theological Seminary, Records, Box __, Folder __: item description, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO.

Organizational History: Covenant Theological Seminary was established in 1956 by vote of the General Synod of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. In 1955 the Synod had founded Covenant College, which was relocated in the following year to share with the Seminary a twenty-one acre campus in St. Louis County. By 1964, the two schools having outgrown this campus in Creve Coeur, the College was moved to Lookout Mountain near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Seminary remained on the Creve Coeur campus and by 1965 was operated under a separate board of trustees.

In 1965 a union was effected between the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and the Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America (General Synod), to form the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod. Covenant Seminary continued to serve as the denominational theological school of this church and so sought to represent both the 20th-century movement for a Presbyterian church that adhered faithfully to its historic confessions and the 17th-century commitment to Christ's kingship of the Scottish Covenanters. While the Seminary's main purpose is to prepare students for a variety of ordained ministries, primarily for its own denomination, nonetheless its student body has always included a large proportion of students from outside the sponsoring denomination.

The founding president of both Covenant College and Covenant Theological Seminary was Dr. Robert G. Rayburn [1915-1990], who, after resigning his position as President in 1976, continued on the faculty as Professor of Practical Theology. Dean of the graduate school of theology when the Seminary was established with Covenant College was Dr. J. Oliver Buswell, Jr. [1895-1977], whose theological teaching has left a lasting influence on the Seminary's instruction.

Finding Aid is normally located in folder number 1 of each box.

{picture}